Blog Summary

I'm here to describe -and discover- the truth and humor and pain that is life in the 8th grade. Day by day.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 30, 2011

I love 3 day weekends!
They mean lots of television and movies can be consumed.

I've been trying to think of my favorites of things. Including movies. Which I always do when I have too much time on my hands.
I put myself on a talk show, either Letterman or, more often, Ellen.

Its conceited, I know, but I find comfort in imagining myself telling short, but humorous stories that not only intrigue the soccer mom audience, but keeps even the slightly chatty host from interrupting.

In fact I've had so much time this weekend i put down the How I Met Your Mother, and finished the book I've been reading, The 5 People You Meet in Heaven.
The book focuses on an old maintenance man who in heaven meets the five people who can explain why his life was the way  it was. Affected and how it affected someone else.

It was not only extremely insightful, but made me strangely happy.
I definitely recommend it.

I also watched Dead Poets Society. Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors. (I realized this on Ellen today. See above.)
About an English teacher teaching boarding school boys to love poetry and how to seize the day.

It was exactly what it said to be, but was extremely well written and a little contagious. If you know what I mean.

Holden Caulfield says that the best books are the ones that makes you want to call up and chat with the author.
While I agree with this, I can also tell if I really liked a movie or novel if I want to have been a part of it. Written it or acted in it or directed it.
Which is why after I read this book, or after I finish every Enders series novel I feel the need to write something exactly like it.
Its pathetic but also very inspiring.

With school only 8 days from its end I realize I will be getting a lot of time to write and read and watch. Maybe I'll post some thing on my new blog... the completely predictable 9th Grade Observer.

But before any of that can happen I have to finish the 8th grade. Awards are Friday, and while I told myself I wouldn't get nervous about winning that American Legion Award, I am. I hate getting nervous or anxious. It leads to disappointment. Which is a feeling Ive only experienced thrice in my lifetime. And don't expect to feel again.

I bought a dress though!

Oh! Geez I almost forgot that on Friday I watched childbirth in Health with a capital H. Of course it was the crib notes version of the one we'll be watching Wednesday.  But we saw pretty much everything. The crowning. It coming out. Everyone kept worrying about the head coming out, but what about the shoulders!

One of the pregnant chicks, not in my class, got very scared.  Her due dates today, actually.  And although she's been a good sport all along, this really freaked her out. As it did everyone.

Except for this boy whose going to the national gymnast thing soon, who simply wondered if she could have shaved down there.

I expect it to be worse on Wednesday when the video from the 70s is played. But that's just an assumption.

I hope your weekend was as good as mine.
Should I be Madonna or Sandra D or a puppet for Halloween?

Or maybe I could go as a Croc wearer? How terrifying.

0 comments: