Blog Summary

I'm here to describe -and discover- the truth and humor and pain that is life in the 8th grade. Day by day.

Monday, May 2, 2011

May 1, 2011

You'd think that what with my level on the middle school social hour I wouldn't have a lot to do on weekends, but this weekend was different. I was pretty busy 24/7, and I'm not used to this kind of physical workout.

Friday was Asian Pacific Islander night at my school, which the chamber of secrets had to play at, and I'll be honest, these theme nights have a reputation of crashing and burning.  I remember in 6th grade when I hadn't been sucked into Ms.Heels web and was still in art, I went to see my piece in the gallery. And this girl, Lucie Lui,who would later be named best female student of the 6th grade, was giving a presentation on famous people with Asian heritage. Her note cards were all out of order and she kept starting and stopping and the power point presentation was all mixed up, which is when her heroic mother ran up to save the day and tripped, hard, on the stairs leading to the stage. It was almost as if a red blinking light had told the audience to gasp. She was up. And then she wasn't.  I personally think the problem is that the crazy, chain smoking librarian plans each of the nights. She's got this deep, scratchy voice that confuses your body into thinking it should sleep and run at the same time.

Saturday my whole, dysfunctional (we put the fun in dysfunctional) family went shopping with me and helped me pick out a necklace, wrap, shoes and mask to wear to the semi-formal. Which I am now going stag too. Shorty found out her brothers college graduation is the same day as the dance, and can't go at all. As bummed as I am, I understand.  I asked Hannie to go with me, but alas I am still awaiting an answer.

But with all the news this week and this day, my silly school dance pales in comparison.

I have just watched the president's announcement about the death of Osama Bin Laden. The magnitude of the situation isn't lost on me, and it's ironic my Geo homework was to watch the news, and it's surprising how connected I feel to the world right now.  I don't fully understand the consequences of this, but I do understand the effort that went into it. And, this is a pretty rare feeling, but the presidential speech definitely evoked a proudness to be American.

And the other huge news this week, which I'm sure has just been trumped, was the Royal Wedding. You can put it down, but especially in moments like this I appreciate the royal wedding. The world is just full of such bad news, it's nice to get a break from that. I know I'm one among millions of girls that played princess in her head this weekend. And I think that's exactly what everyone needs. To play a little pretend.

So have a marvelous week, and remember to stay away from people in trench coats, who wear knee high socks with shorts and those who don Crocs.

0 comments: