Blog Summary

I'm here to describe -and discover- the truth and humor and pain that is life in the 8th grade. Day by day.

Friday, December 10, 2010

December 9, 2010

My first day in high school. I never thought it would be this way. While I was still only 70 days into the 8th grade.

I was so nervous this morning. Like literally shaking in my 2/2 flats. It's scary going to high school. Even if you aren't actually going to learn.

I got there and my mom said goodbye and then this teacher ushered me into his room, where the girl I was shadowing would have her first class. He was also the teacher. My mom says he was 'hunky' but I didn't see it. Anyway, he was funny. And his class, early bird English, was probably my favorite.

The girl I was assigned didn't even remember she was doing it, but she was really nice. Lets call her Katrina. Her friends were really nice as well. In fact, most of the people there were nice to me. At one point her and her friend Janie started quoting Mean Girls. Like they did it everyday. Mocking it.

Her friends were just as smart as she was, and everyone in the room. I definitely liked that. They all made jokes that I genuinely thought were funny. She had this one friend, who was really tall for a sophomore and really skinny who called my Adria for the whole day because everyone said I looked like her. I didn't see it.

Yes, English was my favorite. While going through the notes we stopped at a vocab word, that meant instructive, and no one knew what it meant. The teacher stopped and said,'Come on guys, its my job to make you seem smart, not be smart, seem smart' then he pulled of his glasses and said,'These aren't even real,' On the next hard word Katrina raised her hand and said, that means repulsed. Then her group of friends quietly, and simultaneously said, in a very serious voice,'10 points for Griffindor!' I am so going to use that.

They had these projects called personal projects being checked. I really liked the idea of the projects. You had to decorate a binder and then fill it throughout the year with information, diary like posts etc. while you taught yourself something. Katrina was doing poetry. One of her friends was just writing millions of questions and finding the answers. Her other friend was writing a viola solo. And that boy that called me Adria, was doing fashion as Katrina said. He responded to this by saying,'Way to make my project sound gay.' His friend then told him it was gay.

Here's her schedule-
English- see above
Mythology- Taught by the stereotype of all mythology teachers with tattoos on her breasts and died black hair. She never talked and the class was rather boring. Easy A. Saw a pregnant girl there though.
Algebra 2 H- I did not understand a single thing. So scary. The teacher stamped like 17 papers from each person and looked crazy with this bun on her forehead, practically. She ran through things and was just crazy. I hate her.
History- Everyone warned me of this teacher and let me just say, they did not lie. She was old and scary and looked like she belonged in an English Boarding school. I can't give you an example because all I've got is Hogwarts. I learned all about Jesus. Only one girl was asking questions and answering them. The class was really dry but history is one of my favorite subjects, so I didn't get bored.
Spanish- The teacher was blond and easy going and completely annoying. Katrina even said she learned nothing in the class. This class is where everyone told me what classes to take, what classes I should take and one of her friends even told me about taking health online so you had a free semester.
Lunch- Not as bad as I thought. We ate in a teachers room, a lot of kids did and he was sarcastic and funny. I would have him if I went to school there. She told me she doesn't eat breakfast. Then she had gummy bears for lunch. I asked her when she did eat and she told me dinner. And that I needed to learn how to do homework and eat at the same time. She went to bed last night at 12.We also talked about crying. Apparently this was a good week because she hadn't cried yet. Which was a joke and serious. I started worrying about Specs. She will die at this school, and you know she applied.
Science- They took a test and then took silent notes. Why don't the teachers teach at this school? They man teaching looked like Kevin Smith and talked without his thought. He whistled and pointed. He was like every teacher in every high school movie. To be honest, they all were. The movies don't lie in that sense. The classes are that hard.
Debate- No one does anything in this class. They told me not to do it because of the homework, and at home maybe they do do work. But not in class. The teachers daughter was in the class. And she, the teacher, was racist and hilarious. Some how we started to talk about models and this is what she said,'Plus size models my ass! 12 isn't plus size, my thigh is a size 12. Those girls eat a grape and they look pregnant.' I like her.

Katrina's friends were amazing. I felt awkward around only one of them and that was because he rode my late bus and I had a picture of his back and head on my phone because he looked just like Isadora's boyfriend. So it was kinda weird meeting him, while I already had a picture of him. Who's taking pictures of me?



They told me to start Jane Eyre now.

They told me the biggest difference between middle and high was the essence of fear,

They took me to the orchestra room where the teacher made me play principle and I sucked because I didn't know the music and I had no shoulder rest. That was the only embarrassing part, other then when Alec stole my bag.

All in all it was fun. The hallways are so easy to get lost in and the masses all hate each other, but I am so pumped and I hope I get in! My mom was getting all sappy about me being a baby.

To be honest, high school is like the movies. The classes are confusing and hard and the people are different. There is not, however, as much drama. At least not that I saw. Though all the kids in this super advanced program do not care how they look. I mean they put on makeup, and they probably do their hair, but they don't make references to other girls hair and makeup and clothes. They just have to much other stuff to do.

I can't wait to see if I get in, though if I don't I hope I get into the other one I applied too. They are both good schools. What if I don't get into a school!?

xoxoxo

0 comments: