Blog Summary

I'm here to describe -and discover- the truth and humor and pain that is life in the 8th grade. Day by day.

Monday, April 11, 2011

April 10, 2011

Went and saw my schools production of Beauty and the Beast. My initial fear for the whole ting was that it would somehow ruin my favorite Disney Princess story, butcher it so badly I wouldn't be able to recognize it. But to my surprise, and utter relief, it was good. Decent. Better than the last one I reviewed.

It starred a lot of people that I knew, which was different what with the drama geeks being so exclusive. But half of them were in my Geo class and the other half were pretty popular. That may be a surprise to you, but at my school the people in the the play are at the top of the pack. Don't worry, I understand how wrong it is, too.

Bernie's best friend, and my old 'buddy' (who literally told me last year, probably a few months before the hatred began, that I wasn't her friend, I was her buddy,) Jessica, played Belle. She's beautiful, and smart and sweet. And mysteriously insulting. The whole package.

She has an amazing voice, and looked equally amazing on stage. She got all of her notes on tune and she sounded pretty near the movie. In fact, as a whole, the girls were good. Audrey, who should be the star of every play but some how ends up with the minuscule parts, played the duster thing. And Jordan, Issy's old boyfriends girlfriend, played Mrs.Potts, which was perfect for her.

But the boys, well....this is where it gets a little rocky. Apart from my old elementary friend, Cameron, who played Gaston hilariously, the boys were a little sad. It was kinda like this...first song, funny, second song, still funny, third song, and now its sad.

The chubby, blond, completely gay, candle stick was uplifting until I'm sure he started going off book and trying to do a french accent. Which was basically 'z' at the end of words. I would have left that out. Beside him was this boy, Marcus, who chucked a text book at Bernie last year for stealing his lunch box, the clock, was so loud and wobbly I felt like we should have someone with a first aid kit at hand.

Some parts were so loud it was scary, and others so quiet I felt like I was back watching my little sisters 4-5 grade version of Macbeth. (The early event of the day.)

The costumes though really pulled together the whole show. They were so cute. And I know I say that word should be left for dogs and baby socks, but it definitely qualified for this.

At one point the curtain rose showing the next scene, and at the very end the personality less 7th grader playing the beast lost his wig. Which caused a laugh track like response from the full house.

In fact one of the major problems with the whole thing was a personal problem. I was sitting right next to Hannie and every time, and there were a lot of times, the cast would go flat or sharp she would point it out. I started ignoring her or doing my fake laugh, but she just asked me if I was feeling okay.

I also sat right below Bernie, who was sitting with yet another illiterate crush of hers. They both left near the end, and I'm genuinely nervous now. You don't know what those drummer boys are like.

Can you tell me? Because I have no idea!

Now that high schools are set it's hard to not  imagine yourself there, especially when you pass it everyday. But the parts that are worth preparing for are the parts inside, so my imagination can only go so far.

Specs told me today that going to a high school with someone you despised would count as a con after I told her individuals shouldn't affect her decision. Does anyone else see the sad irony in that?

I'll leave  you to figure it out. Hope you don't have a case of the Mondays, or Beiber Fever,
Or, for that matter, Crocitis. You know, like a disease from wearing Crocs...ahaha, get it.

0 comments: